Saturday, December 4, 2010

Week 13

Blake and I had a very touching experience at the temple on Tuesday, November 22nd. We have made it a goal to try and get to the temple each month during the time that Jacob is gone. The temple is a little more than 2 hours away so it is a time commitment. When we got to the temple I went in and changed and was waiting in the waiting area before our session was to begin. I picked up the Book of Mormon to read and opened it up and to my surprise it was the Spanish version. I didn't think too much about it but when we got into the session the tape was started and it was in Spanish which should have happened. When we finished the session I told Blake about how I picked up the Book of Mormon and it was the Spanish version to my surprise he told me the very same thing had happened to him. Heavenly Father was just reminding us that he was aware of us and he is taking good care of our son. It is the small things that give us joy. Anyway, here is the latest letter for Elder Butterfield.
"Let me start off by thanking you for sharing that spiritual experience with me. It's great to know that Heavenly Father recognizes our committment. I'm glad to hear that you went to the temple too (I get to go this week)! The area is certainly beautiful, we went and took pictures today on the coast and in the jungle. How beautiful! Seeing these wonderous sights inspired me to commit to working harder in thanks to Heavenly Father. The heat has been pretty tolerable so far, and I'm not missing the snow too much. I'm loving it here, and Heavenly Father is blessing you all for our service. Anyway, you can send me a letter through the address on my Facebook that I left. Check it out! Our living conditions are pretty reasonable, we have a working shower, toilet, sink, fridge and beds. I'll send some pictures of them. Our week was tougher, we got a lot of rejections and one baptism fell through. The problem down here is that a lot of people have families, but they're not married. It's tougher to get married sometimes, so we have office missionaries who can get the required records for them. We taught a woman who was a Jehovah's Witness for a number of years, she wants to know the truth but she's worried about her not-so-good children. We left her Mosiah 27 and we will visit her later today. On Sunday, we had church in the old Coca-Cola factory because our chapel is being renovated. It was the first time I had ever had a sacrament meeting outside. We got 10 people to church this Sunday, and half of them are ready for baptism! Our mission president said that the area we're in right now, certainly had some Book of Mormon history in it. Maybe even a prophet walked here! The Olemech heads (we saw an original) match up with the Jaredites, so this land goes back farther than I realized. The Spirit here is very strong, but so is the opposition. It's an amazing place to be and I know this is where we're supposed to serve! I'm going to upload some pictures! Love you all and I will hear from you in a week!

3 comments:

  1. that is such a cool experience. Ben and I have also been trying to go to the temple once a month. but its not a two hour drive so its definently easier! Jakes letter sounds good im glad he is doing so well
    Mikkal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's awesome for you guys. Jake sounds really good, we have been trying to go to the temple about every two weeks. We usually do sealings now. Where can I email Jacob at?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry that was Jenessa.

    ReplyDelete