Sunday, January 23, 2011

Week 20

This week was another milestone for us. It was Jacob's 20th birthday on Friday and the first birthday that we haven't been able to talk with him on his big day. I just keep focusing on all I have left is one more birthday and then he will be home. I know that is another year but it will fly by right? Well here is his latest letter and sometimes I am so amazed at how much he has grown as a person.
"Ya, it's tough to believe it's already my birthday, and my 6 month mark is nearing next transfer.  My companion shares the same birthday, so our investigators are going to throw us a little fiesta.  Haha, President filled us in that the Pack are headed to the NFC title game (I say they're going to win it all) but it's going to be quite a game against the Bears.   That's great that you two are doing this wonderful work for those who don't have a chance.  I really want to go through the Veracruz temple with you all sometime in the future.  Anyone who asks about me can send a letter for 79 cents and it will definitely get to me.  I'm going to send some letters home, can you distribute them to who I write?  Well, this week was something else.  I feel like the writers of The Book of Mormon, not a hundreth part of what I've experienced can be written in this letter.  Here's a summary though:  On Tuesday, there was a flash flood.  Water completely filled the streets up to six inches, and the one appointment we had wouldn't let us in her house.  The next few days were very chilly and rainy, I actually wore a long sleeved shirt!  We received a reference from the sisters on Friday, and we were led to an area about 20 minutes away from the center of our area.  We took a camineta (ride in the back of a truck) up to the top of this community.  No missionaries had ever touched this community of roughly a few thousand.  From the summit, you can see all of San Andrés (I'll send pictures next week) and a lot more too.  Anyway, we had a little trouble finding the reference, but we tracted into her parents and they let us in to teach.  As we sat down, 11 other members of this family showed up, a total of 5 generations!  Appearently, there are 30 members of this family in total, and all of the ones that we taught accepted baptismal dates.  We gave them some money, and all of them showed up to church on Sunday!  The members greeted them with a warm welcome.  We might end up starting a branch in that community, but we'll just have to see.  As we walked down the street in this community, everyone was staring at us like they had never seen missionaries before.  I really would like to get to work up there, but on Saturday, President Hansen was in town and told me that my next area will be Petromex in Poza Rica.  From what I've heard, it's on the complete opposite side of the state (3 hours north) and it's a very strong ward.  Great things await as Heavenly Father continues to pour out his blessings upon his servants.  I've decided to solely study the misionary lessons this week, to get my Spanish to a higher level, and I know Heavenly Father will bless me as I continue to strive.  Finally, this week we were privileged to have two baptisms of youth.  I baptized a 16 year old chica named Paloma (means Dove in English) and my companion baptized a 16 year old chico named Ruben.  I look forward to filling you in about all of our converts more fully, but just know that the Lord can touch a person's heart and change them in an instance.  I know because I've seen it happen in so many people, and I've felt it in my own heart too.  Miracles literally happen in these last days, I can testify before anyone that I have seen them.  Even when I've doubted, my eyes have been open to a greater understanding than I could have ever known by myself.  I'm a different person than I used to be, and it won't change when I take off the tag in 19 months.  I love you all, and I can't express the gratitude for the blessing I've received and miracles I see daily.  Thank you for all that you have done in my life, and I've never been happier before!

Con amor,
Élder Butterfield

No comments:

Post a Comment