Sunday, April 1, 2012

Week 78

Here is this weeks letter.

"]Hey there! We had a wonderful week and now it's actually my time to head on out and go to a new area.  I've been here in Gutierrez Zamora for over 5 months, longer than anywhere else, and I will certainly miss it.  This week was very special for a number of reasons.  First, we had a very well planned baptismal service with two true converts entering the water and making a covenant with our Heavenly Father.  Alberto, an architect, who is the ex-husband of a member was a true miracle.  I actually met him in December, but I had trouble seeing a future member in him.  But with humility and patience on his part and the part of his family, he accepted the Lord's commandments and His restored Church.  The other person that was baptized was a young girl named Guadalupe.  Her neighbors are inactive but they gave us the referral.  Lupe (nickname) is the only member of her family, her two younger siblings haven't even gone to Church.  After she was baptized, we invited her to bear testimony, although nervous, she showed a strong conviction of the Lord's love in her life.  Later that evening, the Bishop invited her to be confirmed and attend the temple the following morning (the temple is about 5 hours away and they have to take a bus to attend).  It was a very spiritual event, and really one of the sweetest moments I have experienced on my mission.  On top of all this, the Bishop received the order to start having Sacrament meeting in Tecolultla (a neighboring village) so that the members there would be able to attend (it's sometimes difficult because of travel costs or distance).  We had had the goal of starting up large family home evenings to maybe someday start a branch, but we didn't know that the Stake President would plan it too.  Monday night, we held a family home evening with a few members from Tecolutla and it was there that the Bishop announced that we were going to start having Sacrament meeting in Tecolutla.  About 35 people came to the meeting (held in a member's house) and the Bishop was very pleased.  Now it will be a new missionary's opportunity to start up a branch in such a pretty place.  The Work is going forth, it's time to rescue the inactives and those that do not know God.  I love this Work and I thanks you all again for giving me this opportunity.  I love you all and next week I will be writing you from Veracruz!
 
-Elder Butterfield

No comments:

Post a Comment